Monday, February 4, 2008

Univ. of Conn, 1948-50

The old 1936 Ford V-8 held up very well for the daily commute from Vernon to Storrs and the University of Connecticut. At times I also had a car pool with Everett Gardner, Della Worcester's husband. However, due to schedules, mostly I was by myself. One winter trip is etched in my memory. I was going down hill in slush, about an inch of it, and suddenly it happened that the steering was not "answering the helm", i.e., NO RESPONSE to my steering! But that wasn't even the worst of it. Looking down the hill at the bottom, there was a car CROSSWISE across the highway. Now you must realize that going down hill in slush absolutely precludes the use of brakes, and you must steer your way out of any situation.

So what happened then? Well, amazingly enough, the car at the bottom of the hill straightened out, and somehow, steering was restored. End of story.

I have to go now, will return later.

No comments: