Friday, December 7, 2007

USN Gulfport Cont'd

They had a very good large swimming pool there, and we were taught proper ways to swim, etc. One place was 8 feet deep, so I did some experiments there at the deep end. I inhaled to the maximum, held my breath, and climbed down the ladder to the bottom and let go. Immediately I popped right up to the top. Then again I did the same thing but this time I exhaled to the maximum. I let go at the bottom, and just stayed there (and then climbed back up).

At night I went to bed on my cot in the Quonset hut. I felt pretty much at home at that point, and did just like I would regularly do at home. I used an upturned orange crate for a night stand, and put my stuff on it when I went to bed, including my wallet. A buddy from Brooklyn was totally shocked, and gave me some friendly advice. Put your wallet in your pillow case so it won't get stolen.

Another thing I did to avoid too much laundry work was to take my mattress bag and use all four surfaces before washing it. One week, normal, next week, turn it over, third week turn it inside-out, fourth week, turn the (already inside-out) over. Fifth week: Laundry. I though I was so clever with this. But looking back, childish.

Towards the end of our three-months crash course in Pre-Radio, I became rather sickly, I believe due mainly to very poor food, lack of fresh vegetables, etc. My friends urged me to check into sick bay, but I thought it would be a very bad idea, only delaying my leaving of this place with such poor food, so I stuck it out, though I had a hard time studying at night. So finally we graduated from there. Next stop was Navy Pier, Chicago.

That's all I have time for right now.

No comments: